It is well known that our founding fathers enjoyed drinking anything fermented. If you search the Internet there are many stories of a drunk Richard Nixon unable to take a call from the UK Prime Minister, or that Harry Truman was drinking Bourbon the moment he learned that FR had died, or my favorite tale is how Herbert Hoover liked gin martinis so much that when his doctor limited him to one drink per day, he bought bigger glasses.
The staff at Main St. Distilleries wanted to showcase a list of U.S. Craft Spirits, and give you a bit of a history lesson, that best represent our freedom loving Presidents and Founding Fathers this upcoming President’s Day. One Distilled Spirit not on the list is Old Crow Bourbon by Beam Global, as it is not produced by a craft distillery, but it has a long history of being served in the presidential homes of Andrew Jackson, William Henry Harrison, and Ulysses S. Grant so we wanted to at least recognize its history and pedigree. (We’re nice like that)
Hope you enjoy and lets raise a glass to freedom…
1. George Washington Straight Rye Whiskey- If you are talking about Presidents Day than #1 has to be a Whiskey by George Washington’s Distillery. George Washington was the only President to actually own a Distillery and brought on Scotsman James Anderson to oversee the operations. Today the Distillery operates as part of the Mount Vernon Estate and the spirits are only sold in the Gift Shop. This Straight Rye Spirit will set you back a bit at $185 for a 375ml bottle and is only available at certain times so you’ll want to check with the Estate to see when their next allotment is out. The reviews we have available is it has a soft rye spice in the nose, a bit of citrus and not too much heat. Happy Birthday George. www.mountvernon.org
The Founding Father
1 1/2 oz. George Washington Straight Rye Whiskey
3/4 oz. Pallini Peachcello
1/2 oz. Lemon
4 oz. Ginger Ale
5 dashes Bitters
Combine the bourbon, Peachcello, lemon juice and bitters in a cocktail shaker with ice. Shake and strain into a chilled champagne flute. Top with ginger ale.
2. Thomas Jefferson Bourbon- Another American President and another great whiskey. Balance and complexity are made approachable and affordable in this offering created from four styles of bourbon that we marry together in small batches. The result is a slightly fruitier and surprisingly sophisticated flavor profile, finishing – as always – with a smooth, vanilla-infused elegance that demands another round. www.jeffersonsbourbon.com
Combine 2 oz Jefferson’s Bourbon, 3/4 oz Pallini Peachcello, 3/4 oz 10 Cane Rum in a mixing glass with ice. Stir and strain into a chilled flute glass.
3. Blue Coat Gin- Bluecoat is an American Dry Gin, unique in flavor profile and unsurpassed in character, five times distilled in the birthplace of America Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. No additives and all natural, organic botanicals and batch distilled, Bluecoat American Dry Gin is a revolutionary spirit that is distinctive and superior in character. The Gin can be used to make a great Martini or a ton of other cocktails. Did we happen to mention the Bottles are probably one of the best on the market, yeah cool blue to scare the red coats. www.bluecoatgin.com
Blue Coat Vesper
3 oz Bluecoat American Dry Gin
1 oz premium vodka (Lets go with New Deal Vodka, you’ll find out why later)
1 oz. Lillet Blanc
Combine all ingredients over ice in a tumbler and shake until ice cold. Strain into a chilled martini glass and garnish with a lemon peel.
4. Privateer Silver Reserve Rum- During the Revolutionary War, American privateers roamed the waters, attacking British ships, and one of those privateers was Andrew Cabot. Six generations later, his descendant and namesake, Andrew Cabot, is honoring this history with the creation of Privateer Rum. Privateer’s moto is No Shortcuts and No Compromises and that is clear when you taste this clear and crisp rum. www.privateerum.com
El Presidente (ok we know it’s named after a Cuban President but the name works)
2 oz Privateer Silver Reserve
.75 oz Dry Vermouth
.75 oz Orange Curacao
1 Dash of Grenadine
1 Twist of Orange
Combine ingredients in a shaker with ice, and shake vigorously. Strain into a martini glass. Garnish with Orange twist and Marachino Cherry.
5. New Deal Vodka- FDR would be proud of the name but all politics aside this is an amazing Vodka. This Oregon based craft distillery goes above and beyond with a vodka that delivers subtle botanical hints and provides an extremely smooth finish. Crafted as a “sipping vodka,” this exceptional spirit can double as an elegant and dependable foundation to any cocktail. Clean and light on the palate, New Deal Vodka is an especially good choice for recipes featuring delicate flavors, such as white tea, cucumber, pomegranate, or raspberry. www.newdealdistillery.com
1.5oz New Deal Vodka
3/4oz Pomegranate Liqueur
2-3oz of Chilled Champagne or dry sparkling wine.
Combine all ingredients in a chilled champagne flute in this order: American harvest, Pomegranate liqueur, Chilled Champagne. Garnish with a lemon twist